Shive-Hattery Group Inc. Survey Technician in West Des Moines, Iowa
Job ID 1491 Location West Des Moines, IA Job Type Full-Time Apply Now
This is a full time position performing land surveying duties including but not limited to: boundary, topographic, and ALTA/ASCM land title surveys and construction staking including both field and office duties. This is a professional path position that provides the opportunity to earn a Professional Surveying License.
This position is available in our West Des Moines Office. Shive-Hattery fosters a team oriented atmosphere and emphasizes unparalleled client services. We offer the opportunity for involvement in a wide variety of surveying, civil engineering, landscape architecture and building projects.
- Minimum two years’ experience as a Survey Crew Member or new graduate with a two year technical degree in Surveying or Civil Design
- Ability to operate and maintain survey equipment including but not limited to robotic total stations, GPS survey equipment, data collectors, and automatic levels.
- Strong communication and collaborations skills
- Communicate with the client and project team to understand the goals, challenges, schedule, budget, and expectations of project
- Conduct research to obtain the appropriate public/ private land records, survey control data, and other pertinent information from various sources for boundary, location, topographical and design surveys and for location of right of way and public utilities.
- Submit daily files including downloading of data, preparation and organization of field sketches and digital photographs
- Perform office functions including drafting of plats and topographic surveys, computations, and reduction of field notes.
- Basic survey calculations including but not limited to percent of slope, angle measurement, bearing and azimuth, coordinates, traverses, differential leveling, and horizontal curves.
- Ability to interpret construction plans
- Pick points for construction staking and load into data collectors
- Establish and set points for construction stakeout projects (curb and gutter, drop inlets, storm sewer, sanitary sewer, water main, etc.)
- Work in a team environment but also be willing to work independently
- Follow prescribed safety practices for Land Surveying
- Responsible for job specific quality
- Maintain a current driver’s license in good standing and able to operate company owned vehicles
- Physically able to perform all tasks including the ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Willingness to work outdoors and in adverse weather conditions.
- Willingness to work overtime as needed
- Familiarity with Civil 3D software is a plus
Our learning and teaching culture is founded on collaboration. You will learn from and teach other employees while working across disciplines. You will grow your skills and continue your professional growth at Shive-Hattery.
About the Des Moines Office
Greater Des Moines region, home to more than half a million people. While being the fastest growing metro in the Midwest (according to the U.S. Census Bureau, 2016) it remains #2 as the “Most Affordable Place to Live” (U.S. News & World Report, 2016). The Des Moines metro regularly tops lists as one of the best cities to live in the country - 26 top ten lists in the two years, in fact!
- Arts and Culture
- Des Moines Events
- Historic East Village Shopping
- Historic Valley Junction
- Jordan Creek Town Center
- Pappajohn Sculpture Park
Learn more about this welcoming, vibrant and affordable place to live.
Shive-Hattery is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Future Consideration: Yes