UnityPoint Health Clinical Risk & Safety Coordinator in West Des Moines, Iowa
Clinical Risk and Safety Coordinator
Unity Point at Home
Full-Time Benefits, 40 Hours/ Week
This person is able to sit remote after 6 months*
Position may sit in Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, Sioux City, or Peoria, IL
Assists compliance department with the agency risk management program including monitoring patient/staff events and complaints; developing risk management programs to reduce future risk; reviewing and revising policies and procedures and other plans to make sure regulatory and accreditation standards are met; assisting with training and education on infection control, safety, and just culture in the ambulatory environment; and collaborating with other departments and leaders to proactively reduce the risk of patient and staff harm.
Clinical Risk Management
· Develop risk management programs to reduce future risk through analysis of national, regional, and local trends in liability, analysis of known or potential internal trends and liability claims, and analysis of high-risk clinical programs and/or procedures.
· Represents home care on various system risk related committees.
· Serve as RL Solutions administrator, conducting file review, follow-up and resolution/closure
· Act as a resource relative to department, leader, and/or team member questions or concerns related to the use of RL Solutions
· Audit, extract, and analyze patient and/or staff events and complaints in an effort to mitigate and where possible eliminate preventable events and occurrences
· Deliver timely and accurate assessment of trends in event and claim reporting to identify potential opportunities to improve patient, visitor, and/or staff safety, as well as reduce potential liability exposure
· Serve as the clinical risk management resource for risk-related inquiries from leaders, team members, and other internal partners (i.e., safety and infection control)
· Review and update the risk management related plans and documents, including risk related policies and processes
· Develop and oversee implementation of appropriate risk management education for new and existing team members and leaders
· Maintain documentation files related to risk management events in accordance with UnityPoint Health record retention and destruction requirements
· May serve as a liaison to UPH attorneys on risk management issues in the absence of management
· Provide expertise in designing and implementing highly reliable clinical processes
· Assist with just culture implementation for the ambulatory settings and work with other internal and system departments and leaders on root cause analysis, training and education.
· Collaboratively, with risk management, quality, process improvement and operational leadership participates in the process improvement plan related to patient and staff safety, including infection control
· Provides expertise, oversight and operational direction for the overall patient and staff safety program within UnityPoint at Home
· Analyzes patient and staff safety events, data driven patient and staff safety and process improvement initiatives, and development and implementation of the annual patient and staff safety plan
· Assist with prioritization and support patient and staff safety initiatives throughout UnityPoint at Home
· Communicate and provide education on patient and staff safety initiatives to key stakeholders.
· Identify trends that may trigger unsafe practices or adverse events.
· Assists with evaluating and developing policies, systems and processes to improve and maintain safe, effective patient care.
· In partnership within the ambulatory affiliate, establish and implement a standardized approach to address patient and staff safety events and participate in the development of a patient and staff safety process improvement plan.
· Demonstrate collaborative leadership toward fostering a culture of safety and maintaining a highly reliable organization
· Utilize critical thinking in making independent judgment related to Patient and Staff Safety initiatives.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Graduate of an approved curriculum or equivalent healthcare risk experience.
All staff are expected to participate in appropriate continuing education as may be requested and/or required by their immediate manager. In addition, staff are expected to accept personal responsibility for other educational activities to enhance job-related skills and abilities. All staff must attend mandatory educational programs.
BS in nursing or other degrees in healthcare administration and/or substantial experience in healthcare risk management.
Three years of clinical/healthcare experience, preferably in community/home health or equivalent.
Current license to practice in the State of Iowa if candidate is a licensed professional.
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Valid Mandatory Reporter course completion by state requirement.
Certified Professional in Healthcare Risk Management (CPHRM) or Certification in Infection Control.
· Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills.
· Detail oriented, ability to work independently and possess time-management skills
· Ability to take initiative and exercise independent judgment, decision making and problem solving expertise.
· Ability to work as a collaborative team member.
· Ability to understand and apply guidelines, policies and procedures.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2020-81103
Street: 1776 West Lakes Pkwy
Name: 9400 UnityPoint at Home Affiliate
FLSA Status: Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: M-F
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org