American Equity Application Developer II - Information Systems Department in West Des Moines, Iowa
Application Developer II - Information Systems Department
West Des Moines
Our Information Systems Department is looking for candidates with a strong, successful background in Visual Basic 6. Knowledge and ability to utilize this is a must as it is the primary program that will be utilized in this position.
GENERAL PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
Under moderate supervision, the Applications Developer II codes, tests and debugs programs, maintains and documents program code and procedures, and assists in the review and analysis of defined systems specifications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Codes and prepares test data.
• Codes, tests, and debugs programs.
• Evaluates and modifies existing programs.
• Documents procedures used for completed programs.
• Provides weekly status reports on all completed, on-going and future projects in order to keep management updated on progress.
• Interfaces with users to develop procedures.
• Analyzes system solutions.
• Performs on-call responsibilities.
• Performs other related work as assigned.
None required for this position.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Associate’s degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; and 2 or more years of related experience and/or training in a coding, testing and debugging environment; or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, PROFESSIONAL DESIGNATIONS:
None required for this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Intermediate knowledge and skills in the use of specific computer software and programming languages (C#, VB.Net, Visual Basic 6, SQL, MS Windows, MS Office, REST API, XML, JSON).
• Skill in writing and testing computer code.
• Knowledge of insurance industry practices, policies, and procedures.
• Knowledge of the principles, practices, methods, and techniques associated with programming of computers and networking equipment.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
• Effective verbal and written communication.
• Initiative and innovation improving work processes.
• Professionalism and follow-through.
• Adaptable to change, delays and unexpected events.
• Strong customer service orientation in responding to inquiries from customers, agents and others.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret documents, manuals, and instructions.
• Ability to perform accurate mathematical calculations and apply mathematical concepts to practical situations.
• Ability to write routine reports, correspondence, and procedure manuals.
• Ability to effectively present information and interact in group situations.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables.
• Ability to interpret a variety of instructions given in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
This description covers the major purpose and essential functions of the job. It is not intended to give all details or a step-by-step account of the way each task is to be performed. Employees may receive other job related instructions and be required to perform
other job related work requested by their manager. All requirements are subject to possible modification to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.