Canadian National Railway Company Field Technician-PTC Locomotive in Waterloo, Iowa
Field Technician-PTC Locomotive
*A Field Technician - PTC Locomotive is responsible for providing technical support and testing the entire Onboard PTC System. Work will be performed in office, lab, shop and field environments. *Duties and Responsibilities:
**Critical performance areas include the following but may vary depending on location and circumstances:
- Perform the final commissioning of locomotive Onboard PTC Systems
- Perform LIEE, FIT, FQT testing in both a lab and field environments
- Perform QA inspections of PTC installations in both CN and non CN locations
- Work will be performed in both office/lab and shop environments
- Provide technical support for all locomotive shop personnel in person, by phone/email
- Remote diagnostics on Onboard PTC Systems
- Perform investigations of train failures, and delays to determine the root cause
- Evaluate the Onboard PTC System performance and reliability
- Coach installers during pilot/prototype installations
- Perform PTC Pre-Departure tests
- Install, maintain, and troubleshoot the Onboard PTC System
- Work with other mechanical personal to develop periodic maintenance procedures for the Onboard PTC System, and other impacted locomotive systems.
- Enforce safe work procedures and policies
* Working conditions:*
- Shift work which includes: Irregular hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays
- On call to provide CN shop staff with technical assistance on issues pertaining to the PTC Onboard System, and MSREPs with active train issues.
- Combination of office and shop work and working outdoors in varying weather and environmental conditions.
- Lift up to 50 lbs
- Meet deadlines, interface with senior management
- Travel for company business, at times without advance notice, up to 50%. Travel will be required in United States and Canada.
- Respond to unexpected or emergency situations
- Strong ability to perform well under pressure and in stressful situations and circumstances
- Strong computer skills. Experience with Microsoft Windows, Linux, and UNIX operating systems.
- Must display logistical thinking, critical thinking, multitasking skills, problem solving skills and decision making skills
- Ability to display strong planning and organizational skills
- Ability to successfully collaborate in a team environment while prioritizing tasks and instructions
- Ability to work autonomously and adapt to changing situations
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Must have the ability to stay alert and prepared for unusual conditions or circumstances
- Demonstrate good teamwork and maintain positive interactions with others
- Dedication to getting the job done while meeting established standards of quality, safety and client satisfaction
- Must be 18 years of age
- Valid driver’s license
- High School diploma or GED
- Valid passport, or able to obtain a valid passport for travel within the United States and Canada.
- Must meet all medical fitness for duty requirements for the position as outlined by the FRA and company requirements.
- Ability to pass a background investigation pertaining to federal and state criminal history, including driver history
- Relevant work experience in similar field/working conditions or regulatory/safety environment
- Post-secondary education: Computer Science, Electrical Engineering degree or Electronics Technician diploma
- A basic understanding of how the various systems on the locomotive operate, i.e. OEM EMD and GE Control Systems, both 26L, and EAB type airbrake systems, Locotrol, Trip Optimizer, etc... or the ability to learn these systems at an accelerated pace
- Prior experience with Wabtec I-ETMS
- Experience with locomotive electrical systems, or prior experience with industrial automation
- Prior experience with networks, radio comm., cell comm., etc...
- Must be well versed with Microsoft Office Word and Excel
- Autocad experience
- Basic programming skills using Python, SQL, Java, PHP, C++, and HTML
The ideal candidate profile:
- Demonstrates the ability to work autonomously, adapt rapidly to changing circumstances and situations and manage stressful situations.
- Collaborative and team-oriented, can motivate others to achieve set objectives and maintains positive interactions. Good leadership skills – supervising, mentoring, coaching.
- Is result-focused, gives clear directions and prioritizes daily tasks.
- Excellent English verbal, reading comprehension and writing skills.
- Dedicated to getting the job done while meeting established standards of quality, safety and client satisfaction.
- Understand and apply safety standards, policies and procedures, collective agreements as well as Operating Rules.
Training:Training relating the role of Field Technician - PTC Locomotive will be done on the job and facilitated by PTC Team as well as training programs hosted by our venders.
CN is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to fill vacant positions with qualified candidates without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, or disability, assuming an individual can perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation. Only qualified candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.