Canadian National Railway Company Field Engineeer-Design and Construction in Waterloo, Iowa
Field Engineeer-Design and Construction
Engineer - Field Design & Construction
- Responsible for managing Field Technician personnel.
- The Field Engineer, will ensure that the surveys are complete and pass the information to the Design Group (with AutoCAD software).
- Will ensure effective surveying of projects, both with internal and external customers, in accordance with sound engineering practices and approved railway standards, specifications, procedures, within the CN operating plan.
- Manage Field Technicians’ (including GPS, robotic total station, and traditional methods) as project plans require. The work will be in support of Track, Signal and Bridge projects.
- Manage the as built Drawings (including horizontal and vertical alignments, cross sections, etc.) utilizing AutoCAD Civil 3D to ensure design standards are kept in compliance with CN, Local, State and Federal guidelines.
- Develop, prioritize and manage multiple projects and budgets to maximize asset utilization and cost control within project(s) scope and approved budget.
- Manage inventory of Railroad facilities that will affect train movements to provide accurate data to the Design and Construction group.
- Supervision of various construction contracts, on a as-required basis, to ensure that on-going work meets CN standards of quality, schedule, and budget
- As assigned by Senior Manager, Design and Construction
- Required to work on varying shifts to cover operations that run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- Work environment is a mix of office and outdoors, which can be in varying types of weather and environmental conditions.
- Work shifts may vary and will include weekdays, weekends and statutory holidays.
- Will be on call based on territory requirements.
- Some travel requirements, which may include overnight stays away from home, based on territory and project requirements.
- Will be required to respond to emergency situations.
- Must be 18 Years of Age
- Must meet all medical fitness for duty requirements for the position
- High school diploma or GED.
- 2 years Associate Degree or LSIT
- Valid driver’s license.
- Demonstrated surveying knowledge and ability.
- Demonstrated AutoCAD design knowledge and ability.
- Minimum 5 years construction experience
- Minimum 5 years Surveying experience or equivalent.
- Good computer skills; especially working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Word, Project).Assets /
- EIT / PE and/or PLS; preference to Civil, Construction, Surveying or Geotechnical background.
- 10+ years construction experience.
- 10+ years project management experience.
- Highly mobile (i.e. willing to relocate)
- Experience working in SAP, TMDS, GIS, TIS
CN is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to fill vacant positions with qualified candidates without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, or disability, assuming an individual can perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation. Only qualified candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.