Valmont Industries, Inc. Maintenance Supervisor in Sioux City, Iowa
2301 Bridgeport Drive Sioux City Iowa 51111-1001
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary of This Position:
This Supervisor position is accountable for supervising a small work group of maintenance personnel/ARS operators within the galvanizing operations at SIouxland Galvanizing to meet all safety, quality, training, and operations requirements. This position requires direct interaction with vendors and outside contractors as well as acting as project manager on both Capital Projects and other plant maintenance repairs
· This position reports into the General Manager and has 1 direct report.
· Test, inspect, repair and re-assemble plant equipment, components, and systems including but not limited to overhead bridge cranes, hoists, gear boxes, forklifts, straddle trucks, shag trucks, company vehicles, pneumatic and mechanical systems, power transmission components, combustion engines, boiler systems, and electrical and hydraulic systems
· Perform high skilled electrical work
· Fabricate fixtures using welding, cutting, brazing, and surface hardening applications
· Read and interpret blueprints to complete assigned tasks and repairs
· Communicate with other maintenance and production team members via e-mail, phone, and face-to-face
· Operate gauging equipment including tape measures, micrometers, and dial calipers
· Must be company trained and authorized to operate powered industrial trucks, aerial platforms and bridge cranes
· Must be company trained and authorized in arc flash safety, confined space entry, hazardous energy control and fall protection
· Move parts and materials around the facility weighing up to 50 pounds by hand although most frequent lift is up to 30 pounds
· Ability to spend 75% of workday standing or walking, 10% bending or kneeling, 10% stooping, and 5% climbing
· Climb and work from ladders, aerial platforms , bridge cranes, and roofs in excess of 80 feet
· Must be able to distinguish colors
· Domestic travel overnight up to 10% annually to assist with maintenance at other plant locations
· Wear all required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and work in a non-temperature controlled environment, as well as exposure to outdoors
Other Important Details about the Role:
· Prioritize and assign work to subordinates
· Collect information from outside vendors
· Perform work/training with subordinates
· Maintain records/tracking costs
· Knowledgeable and understanding of the chemical process, testing and maintenance of tank chemistry.
· Knowledgeable with all plant equipment
· Responsible for reading and interpreting pneumatic, hydraulic, electrical and mechanical blueprints
· Knowledgeable with high skilled testing, troubleshooting, disassembly, inspecting, precise measuring, repair and re-assembly of all plant equipment and components with limited instruction
· Able to fabricate and repair metal structures and components
· Identifies and report equipment abnormalities and safety hazards
· Communicates with coworkers, supervisors, and all shop personnel regarding the maintenance and repair of equipment via notes, e-mail, or verbal communication
· Completes record logs including labor, repairs made, equipment, and use of materials on the computer
· Responsible for maintaining tools and equipment
· Must be company tested and authorized to operate a forklift
· Responsible for working with small hand tools including tape measures, micrometers, saws, drills, riveters, and nail guns
· Assists in training and provides guidance and instruction to the Maintenance department
· Assist in general plant clean up and housekeeping
· Maintain critical parts lists and order replacement parts as necessary
· Maintain files on Preventive Maintenance program and 3rd party inspections
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
· Two to five years related experience and/or training related to the maintenance and repair of galvanizing equipment; or equivalent combination of education and experience
· Strong background knowledge of 480 volt, 3 phase electricity
· Ability to work from heights using equipment such as a high reach
· Proven Supervisory skills and strong leadership with strong communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills
· Must have a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Outlook
· Must be a person of passion and integrity who has the drive to excel and deliver exceptional results
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications:
• An Associate’s or Technical degree in Industrial Maintenance or related field
• Industrial boiler certification
• The ability to interpret and fabricate components based on blueprints or specification sheets
• Two years of experience troubleshooting pneumatic, hydraulic, electrical, and mechanical systems
• Two years of experience welding/fabricating metal structures/components
• Two year of previous experience using troubleshooting aides to diagnose equipment such as, thermography gun, digital VOM, volt, ohm or amp meters
• The ability to climb and work from ladders, man lifts, bridge cranes, and roofs in excess of 80 feet
• The ability to work in adverse conditions: wet, hot, dusty, dirty or cold
• Structural welding certification
• Pipe welding certification
• Licensed electrician
• Licensed HVAC
Working Environment and Physical Efforts:
The Maintenance Supervisor works in all conditions that exist in the plant. Conditions range from clean shop work exposure to odors, drafts, wet conditions, dirt, grease, dust, and noise. The work environment consists of smoke and irritating particulate impurities, acid fumes from pickling tanks, and large quantities of windblown dust and ash produced as by-product to the galvanizing process. In addition, the nature of the industry results in extreme heat in the summer (typically 10-15 degrees above outdoor temperature), and melting snow off of incoming material results in damp, cold working conditions in the winter. These conditions range from severe to mild and can happen daily in any combination. Occasional domestic travel of up to 33% may be required annually to assist with maintenance at other plant locations.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.
Valmont Industries, Inc. is a leading producer and distributor of products and services for the infrastructure and agricultural markets.
Valmont began in 1946 when founder, Robert B. Daugherty, combined his $5,000 savings with a wholehearted belief that business could and should be done better. From those modest beginnings, the company grew into a global leader of engineered products and services for infrastructure, and water-conserving irrigation equipment and solutions for agriculture.
From lighting and traffic structures to guide the way, to communication towers that keep people connected, to utility structures that power homes and businesses, to irrigation equipment and technology that helps grow the world’s food, we are committed to Conserving Resources. Improving Life ® .
Four primary business segments comprise Valmont: Engineered Support Structures; Coatings; Irrigation and Utility Support Structures. We manufacture products in over 80 different facilities spread across 6 continents and do business in over 22 different countries. Valmont is publicly traded on the NYSE under the symbol (VMI).
We are passionate about our products. We pride ourselves on being people of integrity who excel at delivering results. We pursue opportunities for growth by taking products and processes to new markets, developing new products for existing markets, and continually improving across the company to ensure that Valmont solutions are always the global industry leader.
Valmont Industries, Inc.
- Valmont Industries, Inc. Jobs