Alliant Energy Line Mechanic J/A in Ottumwa, Iowa
• Install, tension, tie in and remove conductors.
• Install, frame and climb poles and structures. Remove disassemble same.
• Operate basket trucks, digger trucks, trenchers, backhoes and other various construction equipment.
• Restore electric service lost due to weather, equipment failure, or whatever cause, in a safe and prompt manner.
• Install and maintain street and security lighting equipment.
• Operate and maintain hydraulic tools and systems.
• Install underground electrical equipment including cable, switchgear, cable terminations and other related gear.
• Know and understand safety and construction standards.
• CPR and First Aid.
• Must report to work fit for duty and free from the effects of drug and alcohol abuse.
• Load and haul poles, transformers and material to job sites.
• Trim trees from power lines and operate chipper to dispose of brush.
• Test and maintain transformers, including taking oil samples.
• May require licensing for pesticide, preservative or hazardous material handling.
• Practice good housekeeping and equipment maintenance.
• Maintain truck stock and material inventory.
• May require mapping and paperwork related to job order changes.
• Perform daily equipment inspections.
Supervision: May be required to supervise and train apprentices and lesser grade line department employees.
Requisition ID:3720BRPosition Type:Regular Recruiting Location(s):Ottumwa, IA Schedule Type:Full-Time Posting Details:
Looking to power up your career? If you enjoy challenges, have the drive to learn, and are passionate about making a difference in your community, we invite you to consider Alliant Energy! Our skilled trade employees are the heartbeat of our organization. We depend on the expertise and dedication of our crews to deliver the performance our customers expect, safely and efficiently.
What sets us apart?
Outstanding pay and benefits
A commitment to career growth and development
The opportunity to make a positive impact on our local communities
A strong union relationship
We are actively recruiting a highly skilled Journeyman or Apprentice level, Line Mechanic that is interested in joining a collaborative team in Ottumwa, IA. This is an exciting, challenging, and critical position that is responsible for constructing, dismantling, maintaining, replacing, repairing, and operating electric facilities.This position has a residency requirement of 35 minutes from headquarters.
This position may participate in a Boot Camp and on-the-job training may take place in multiple sites throughout IP&L geographic territory. Travel, overnight lodging and expenses will be handled in accordance with bargaining agreement. Job Category:Line Maintenance/Technician Job Qualifications:Note: This position is posted at a Journeyman or Apprentice level; many qualifications below pertain to journeyman level candidates.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
• Obtain and maintain Class \"A\" CDL
• CPR and First Aid
• May be required to be certified to apply herbicides.
• Very heavy work
• Climbing, balancing, twisting/standing, stooping/crawling
• High degree of visual efficiency along with good color distinction and depth perception
• Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication (hearing/listening ability)
• Good finger dexterity
KSA (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities):
• Must have mechanical skills
• Ability to work in a team setting
• Capable communicator
• Ability to be courteous and tactful with the public
• Will be required to work irregular hours during storm emergencies and as needed
Environmental: Often requires extensive work during weather extremes, both summer heat and winter cold, blizzard and thunderstorm.
*Note: This job is covered by the Department of Transportation regulations on drug and alcohol testing (CFR 49, Parts 40 and 199), and is subject to drug testing according to said regulations.
We are committed to providing an inclusive work environment for all and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Energize your future and apply today at www.alliantenergy.com/careers Posting Title:Line Mechanic J/A