Catholic Health Initiatives RN- Occupational Health PRN (Days) in DES MOINES, Iowa
RN- Occupational Health PRN (Days)
GENERAL SUMMARY :
Assists in the administration
and coordination of all occupational health programs including: leaves of absences, Blood Borne Pathogen (BBP)
exposures, tuberculosis program, workers’ compensation, ergonomics, immunizations,
return to work clearance, latex prevention, new hire processing, short/long
term disability insurance, alcohol/substance abuse monitoring/treatment, ADA
accommodations and regulatory agencies as indicated.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS :
Focus: General EHS Responsibilities
- Assesses data related to employees (ages 16-80) injury or illness and
Assists with new hire health screening processes.
Coordinates/administers immunizations and TB skin tests.
Provide treatment and follow-up for TB skin test conversions.
Maintains all employee files and monitors them for completeness and
- Acts as a resource person to answer questions relative to occupational
- Communicates with third-party administrators, attorneys, occupational
health physicians, rehabilitation professionals, Mercy management, and any
others to assure fair, consistent, quality treatment of the employee and
adherence to Mercy policies.
Coordinates cost-containment efforts.
Attends educational seminars to educate self and others about current
occupational health issues.
- Provides instruction and information to employees regarding their health
Demonstrates knowledge of infection control issues/communicable diseases.
Collaborates with Infection Control, Iowa Department of Public Health
(IDPH) and other community agencies regarding communicable disease treatment
- Assesses alcohol/substance abuse issues in the workplace, makes
appropriate referral(s) and evaluates the employee’s ability to return to work
after successful program completion.
Assists with ADA accommodations as needed.
Utilizes EAP for employee referral.
Administers the DOT requirements for CDL random drug testing procedures.
Assists with the respiratory protection program.
Serves as a resource for health referrals.
Assists with short and long term disability insurance processes.
Keeps the EHS Manager informed of any employee issues warranting further
- Assists with other duties as assigned.
Focus: Leaves of Absence
- Administers and case manages the FMLA/LOA program to include coordination
of medical care, referrals and assistance for the employee’s Return to Work
Determines leave time available.
Tracks FMLA/LOA data.
Handles inquiries and follow-up issues.
Distributes notices, and correspondence to employee, or designee, as
required by federal/state law.
- Reviews and validates completed certifications,
documents and other paperwork.
Involves clinical advisory review when necessary.
Verifies recertification of leave periods as per policy.
Provides assistance to managers/employees.
Reports leave of absence information via standard reports.
Collects fit-for-duty information from employee.
Assists all parties with completion and coordination of all necessary
documentation in a timely manner.
- Reviews/updates the LOA policies/procedures.
Focus: Workers’ Compensation
- Serves as a case manager for all workers’ compensation incidents and
makes appropriate referrals for services.
- Reviews/investigates all work related incidents and makes appropriate
referrals for services.
Completes and monitors First Reports of Injury.
Recognizes, accesses and coordinates the expertise from other departments
to assist the employee while they are participating in the workers’
- Makes on-site visits as necessary to assess health/safety issues and make
- Serves on the Ergonomic Committee, Safety Committee and other committees
as deemed appropriate.
- Provides ergonomic evaluations and makes recommendations regarding
- Assists with the identification of latex allergies and provides
education, consultation and follow-up as needed.
- Provides testimony and assists in
preparation of workers’ compensation litigation.
Reviews/updates the workers’ compensation policies and procedures.
Maintains statistical information on all work-related incidents.
Maintains the OSHA 300A log and time-loss board.
Assists with workers’ compensation billing issues.
Focus: Blood Borne Pathogen BBP Exposures
- Administers and case manages all BBP exposures and coordinates the plan
Updates the BBP exposure control plan/policy annually.
Reviews and investigates all BBP exposures and makes appropriate referrals
- Provides immediate counseling and follow-up for all blood borne pathogen
exposures utilizing the PEP protocol if necessary.
Provides monthly reports.
Communicates and provides follow-up with the identified source patient.
Communicates with management staff regarding BBP prevention/follow-up.
Consults with Infectious Disease physician for all PEP exposures and as
Monitors trends in safety device utilization.
Serves on the Safety Device Task Force Committee.
- Knowledge of Windows applications to operate the OSHA Log 200 Windows
Manager Plus Program.
- Operates fax and copier.
MINIMUMKNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED :
R.N. with current license to practice in the State of Iowa.
Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred.
Experience in occupational health and/or workers' compensation preferred.
Possesses excellent communication skills, verbal, non-verbal and written.
Possesses strong organizational skills.
Primary Location IOWA-DES MOINES-MERCY MEDICAL CENTER
Daily Schedule Days
Scheduled Hours per 2-week Pay Period 0
Weekends Required None
Req ID: 2018-R0158559
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.