Air National Guard Units (Title 32/Title 5) IT SPECIALIST (SYSADMIN/CUSTSPT) in Des Moines, Iowa
**The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community.
IOWA AIR NATIONAL GUARD - TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION** This position is restricted to current Military members of the 132d Wing, Des Moines, Iowa Air National Guard.
LOCATION: 132d Wing, Des Moines, Iowa NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted position that requires military membership in a compatible military assignment in the Iowa Air National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of this excepted position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment.
This position is advertised at the trainee grade of GS-09 and target grade of GS-11. Promotion to the next higher level is not automatic with the completion of a time-in grade requirement, but rather contingent upon the assignment and performance of higher level duties on a regular basis. A minimum of 12 months is required between each developmental grade. The supervisor must assure that the trainee/developmental level has been mastered through actual performance (not just the passage of time) and the higher level duties are available and essential.
APPLICATION MATERIALS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 05/25/2018. FAILURE TO PROVIDE COMPLETE INFORMATION MAY RESULT IN YOUR NOT RECEIVING CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION. Please refer to the Qualifications and Evaluations Section of this Announcement to understand the qualification requirements, and the How to Apply Section for detailed instruction on applying.
Learn more about this agency
As a IT SPECIALIST (SYSADMIN/CUSTSPT), GS-2210-9/11 your duties are below;
- Serves as a technical expert and focal point for the installation and configuration of hardware and software on personal computers and for personal data assistants associated with assigned systems. Develops, modifies, and tests overall system backup and recovery strategies for assigned systems.
- Serves as a systems administrator responsible for planning, coordinating, modifying, implementing, and troubleshooting in order to meet customer needs. Work pertains to the administration of all systems, including a myriad of associated hardware platforms, software applications and numerous interfaces included in the Local Area Network (LAN).
- Serves as a technical expert on multiple operating systems and computer platforms.
- Analyzes, evaluates, and recommends hardware/software changes to various computer systems. Considers factors such as compatibility with standard systems, conversion or implementation costs, and impact on existing equipment.
- Develops guidelines, standard operating procedures (SOPs), bulletins and flyers regarding the operation/use of assigned C4 systems, services, and activities. Analyzes policies, regulations, and system provisions governing standard operating systems and provides assistance and advisory services to users.
- Implements systems software changes, operating system releases and maintains the operational status of systems. Coordinates with system developers resolving hardware and/or software malfunctions.
- Performs security management in accordance with National Guard Bureau (NGB) and Air National Guard (ANG) regulations and policies. Reviews and implements local policies regarding system access, network rights, and physical access to systems and equipment.
- Implements ANG policy relating to systems storage requirements. Analyzes system operations to identify inefficiencies and takes action to resolve problems and ensure optimal performance and consistency.
- Provides input to the ANG Continuity of Operation Plan (COOP) procedures for system disaster recovery. COOP recovery includes reestablishment of systems at multiple sites and locations.
- Installs and configures workstation or network operating systems, and applications software on a wide range of configurable information systems devices.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
2210 Information Technology Management
- Administrators, Computer Systems
- Administrators, Network Security
- Administrators, Wide Area Network
- Analysts, Computer Systems
- Analysts, Data Processing Systems
Computer Systems Administrators
Conditions of Employment
- Military Rank Requirements: Enlisted members (E3 - E6)
- MOS Compatibility (but not limited to): Fully qualified 3D170, 3D071, 3D072, 3D073, 3D074, 3D171, 3D172, 3D173, 3D174
- Applicant must obtain and maintain TS/SCI Security Clearance
**In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. We will not make assumptions regarding your experience. Applicants who do not fully address the minimum/specialized experience needed for the position in their resume will not be referred for consideration.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:**Experience, education or training that has provided a basic knowledge of data processing functions and general management principles that enabled the applicant to understand the stages required to automate a work process. Experience may have been gained in work such as computer operator or assistant, computer sales representative, program analyst, or other positions that required the use or adaptation of computer programs and systems.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: GS-2210-9/11:Must have at least* 36 months*experience in the following: 1. Experience, education, or training that approaches techniques and requirements appropriate to an assigned computer applications area or computer specialty area in an organization. 2. Experience planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment where this entailed coordination with others outside the organizational unit and development of project controls. 3. Experience that required adaptations of guidelines or precedents to meet the needs of the assignment. 4. Experience preparing documentation on cost/benefit studies where is involved summarizing the material and organizing it in a logical fashion. SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Must have at least 24 months experience in the following: 1. Experience, education, or training in analysis of the interrelationship of pertinent components of the system. 2. Experience planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment. 3. Experience scheduling the sequence of programs to be processed by computers where alternatives had to be weighed with a view to production efficiency.
Substitution of Education for Specialized Experience -For the GS-5 level, a 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree may be substituted for the experience requirements. At the GS-7 level, one full year of graduate level education or superior academic achievement. At the GS-9 level, a masters or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree may be substituted. At the GS-11 level, a Ph.D. or equivalent, or 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree. Undergraduate or Graduate Education: Degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
To receive credit for Education, you must provide college transcripts to support your Educational claims.
SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIREMENT: Employment is subject to attaining and maintaining a secret clearance as required by this position. If the selectee does not possess the applicable security clearance when hired, application must be made within 30 days of the start date. Failure to make application for the required security clearance will result in termination of employment. Failure to complete NGB prescribed courses at the PEC for new FTS personnel within the first year of employment may be cause for reassignment or termination of FTS. ENLISTMENT CASH BONUSES: Acceptance of a technician position may affect any bonus and/or educational assistance that may be applicable. Please contact your Education Office prior to accepting a position with the Iowa Army National Guard. Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
If you are a male applicant born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required for this position:
- Knowledge of a variety of operating systems on desktops and servers. Some of the operating systems utilized involve a higher security level than that typically used in an office automation environment. These involve multiple levels of security with multiple authentication levels.
- Knowledge of and skill in operating a wide variety of encryption hardware and software along with the ability to integrate these items into the local communications backbone.
- Knowledge and skill in managing a variety of classified communications and computer hardware and software in support of an intelligence unit.
- Knowledge of project management techniques and tools sufficient to provide expert guidance on the implementation of emerging technologies.
- Skill in troubleshooting problems and implementing changes on multifaceted and interdependent computer platforms.
- Skill in using performance tuning tools and techniques that are used to optimize systems functionality in order to meet installation systems requirements.
- Skill in identification, isolation and correction of complex workstation and network system faults. Skill in identifying and resolving conflicts between workstations, network and peripheral devices; skill in adapting existing software to advanced systems; and skill in adapting multiple devices to operate from individual workstations or as network devices.
- Knowledge of information technology systems security principles and methods to design, develop, implement, and manage systems, networks, and data that ensure confidentiality, integrity and availability.
Background checks and security clearance
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
- Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (format should include Month and Year) of employment and duties performed.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
IA 132nd Wing 3100 McKinley Ave Des Moines, IA US
Learn more about this agency
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/499430700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 05/11/2018 to 05/25/2018
Salary: $57,014 to $74,120 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 9 - 11
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Permanent