Union Pacific Apprentice Freight Car Repair in Des Moines, Iowa
Apprentice Freight Car Repairers inspect, repair, rebuild and service railroad freight cars in accordance with FRA regulations, AAR rules, and company policies. This is accomplished through the use of hand tools, power tools, cutting torches and welding equipment. Work is of a physical nature and requires kneeling, bending, and/or standing at height at up to 20 feet, walking long distances over uneven terrain, heavy lifting, pushing/pulling objects weighing between 25 lbs. to 50 lbs., occasionally lifting up to 86 lbs with assistance and getting on and off equipment.
For this position, you will be required to become a Union Pacific certified driver during your probationary period. To become certified, you must meet the following Motor Vehicle and Medical Requirements.
- Motor Vehicle Requirements:
Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
Have valid driver's license
Have an acceptable driving record per your Motor Vehicle Record (MVR). This includes commercial and personal vehicles. No more than one moving violation conviction in the past three years. No DUI/DWI/Refusal convictions in the past three years. No more than one DOT reportable accident in past three years.
You may also be required to obtain your Commercial Driver's License (CDL) if you will be operating a vehicle(s) with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs or greater. If this is required, you will need to obtain your CDL during your probationary period.
- Medical Requirements: Must meet the medical requirements (also called physical qualifications) for commercial motor vehicle drivers as specified by the US Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). For more information about FMCSA physical qualifications for drivers click here. Health and Medical Services at Union Pacific Railroad will make the final determination on whether or not an individual meets the FMCSA medical qualifications, and may add additional medical requirements to assure the person can safety perform job tasks, with or without accommodation.
- Conduct inspections of rolling stock (e.g. freight cars, flatcars, tank cars, rock cars, multi-level cars, stack cars etc.) for defects or evidence of wear; inspect rolling stock for compliance with industry standards; inspect lading for shifting loads, clearances, and compliance with rules; inspect rolling stock damaged in derailments or collisions; conduct pre-trip inspections (air brake tests, fuel, etc.).
- Perform scheduled and on demand maintenance including: initial terminal air brake tests and other pre-trip maintenance; lubricate journals; clean and prepare surfaces for painting.
- Work with shop machines, tools, vehicles, and equipment.
- Troubleshoot and problem solve.
- Communicate with others, verbally and in writing, technical information, job procedure recommendations, and other work-related information.
- Read, understand, and interpret information.
- Clean and supply work areas.
- Provide on the job training to subordinates, coworkers, and trainees or apprentices.
- Repair rolling stock structural components. Fabricate, cut, and perform rough finish operations on metal and wood replacement parts; fasten and assemble car parts by riveting, bolting, welding, and other methods.
- Remove and replace defective components on rolling stock (trucks, shoes, coupler assemblies, air brake systems).
- Safely and effectively operate the following; acetylene torches, non-power tools (pliers, wrenches, hammers), power tools (drills, power saws, grinders); electric and gas welding equipment.
- Understand and follow company and industry safety rules, practices, and procedures, wear prescribed safety apparel; take appropriate action when conditions threaten safety of self or coworkers; ensure equipment and work area are in safe operating condition before starting work.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Applicants must have the ability to effectively and accurately understand, interpret, reference, evaluate, organize, and record non-technical and technical information.
- Able and willing to understand and apply safety rules, practice safe work habits, identify safety risks, and avoid potentially risky behaviors and situations
- Applicants must have the ability to perform basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and conversion of fractions into decimals and decimals into fractions to solve practical problems. In addition, applicants must be able to extract relevant information from tables, charts, graphs, and text.
- Applicants must have the ability to communicate and work well both independently and with others.
- Experience operating tools required to repair freight cars.
- Ability to perform heavy physical labor.
- Applicants for this position must pass a pre-employment test in English before being allowed to interview. If you have taken the Skilled Craft Battery Test for this position and failed within the last six months, you will not be eligible to apply for this posting. The number of candidates who pass the test and are invited to interview will be based upon hiring needs. Click here to see a sample of the Skilled Craft Battery test.
- Agree to all listed job requirements, e.g. pay, shift work, outdoor work, confined spaces, etc.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with coworkers, supervisors, contractors and/or customers and effectively handle conflict situations.
- Applicants must qualify on a Physical Ability Test (PAT) prior to employment. Click here for a description of the Physical Abilities Test
- Ability to speak English in a clear, concise manner in order to communicate with coworker(s) and supervisor(s).
- Authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship.
- Candidates for this position must pass a pre-employment test in English before being allowed to interview. If you have taken this test and failed within the last six months, you will not be eligible to apply for this position. Click here to see a sample items on the Skilled Craft Battery test.
- Candidates must qualify on a Physical Ability Test (PAT) prior to employment. Click here for a description of the Physical Abilities Test
- Welding experience
Location: Des Moines, IA
Closing Date: None at 11:59 PM Central Time
Job Open To: Internal and External Candidates