ADM Lab Tech - Cedar Rapids, IA (Dry Grind) in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Lab Tech - Cedar Rapids, IA (Dry Grind)
For more than a century, the people of Archer Daniels Midland Company (NYSE: ADM) have transformed crops into products that serve vital needs. Today, 30,000 ADM employees around the globe convert oilseeds, corn, wheat and cocoa into products for food, animal feed, chemical and energy uses. With more than 265 processing plants, 400 crop procurement facilities, and the world’s premier crop transportation network, ADM helps connect the harvest to the home in more than 160 countries. For more information about ADM and its products, visit www.adm.com .
JOB TITLE: Lab Technician
LOCATION: Cedar Rapids
SUPERVISOR: Quality Manager
JOB CLASS: Hourly
Under limited supervision, conducts in-process and finished product testing to determine adherence to established specifications of quality and purity.
SPECIFIC JOB DUTIES
· Performs daily process monitoring tests throughout the plant as assigned, including microbiological analysis.
· Prepare process and finished product samples, perform analytical testing using instrumental and record results using computerized data systems.
· Maintains samples of tested product in order to confirm test results, if necessary.
· Documents results of all testing procedures and promptly notifies processing departments of required adjustments to operating procedures.
· Understands most production processes required in the production of product and may make recommendations to operators in order to achieve product quality.
· Performs light maintenance and calibration on all ADM laboratory equipment.
· Maintains on-going records of the results of all testing procedures and inputs such data into computer on a daily basis.
· Maintains adequate supplies used for testing procedures and notifies the supervisor of the need to re-order such supplies.
· Continually compares equipment readouts with samples of standards as required to insure that all systems are operating accurately.
· Maintains a neat and clean working area at all times, washing equipment as required and placing equipment in the proper storage areas.
· Maintains an effective working relationship with fellow employees.
· Performs duties in a safe manner, utilizing all approved safety equipment and successfully completes all safety certification requirements.
· Maintains awareness and adheres to all FDA, GMP, BATF, EPA, OSHA and employer standards and guidelines.
· Handles various chemicals in assorted containers in the manner outlined in the manufacturer’s chemical Material Safety Data Sheet.
· Informs supervisor immediately of any hazards, unsafe equipment and/or acts. Additionally reports immediately any accidents, injuries and near misses to supervisor.
· Participates actively in training.
· Familiarizes themselves with the hazards in their work area and how to protect themselves.
· Understands that accidents are preventable and that safety is everyone’s responsibility.
· Always focuses on safety, quality, and integrity
EDUCATION OR TRAINING REQUIRED
· 2 or 4 year science degree
· Good attendance history
· Excellent safety record and awareness
· Demonstrates sufficient computer skills to utilize lab instrument operation programs
· Experience with lab documentation
· Experience with lab procedures and equipment
· Demonstrates sufficient math skills to perform calculations associated with lab testing
· Previous plant experience
· Ability to work on multiple tasks
· Ability to team build
· Good organizational skills
· Willingness to assume and learn new responsibilities
· Excellent communication skills
· Proven housekeeping and sanitation skills (MSS)
· Demonstrated troubleshooting skills
· Accurate record keeping skills
Job Description (Continued):
EDUCATION OR TRAINING REQUIRED
- 2 or 4 year science degree
Good attendance history
Excellent safety record and awareness
Demonstrates sufficient computer skills to utilize lab instrument operation programs
Experience with lab documentation
Experience with lab procedures and equipment
Demonstrates sufficient math skills to perform calculations associated with lab testing
Previous plant experience
Ability to work on multiple tasks
Ability to team build
Good organizational skills
Willingness to assume and learn new responsibilities
Excellent communication skills
Proven housekeeping and sanitation skills (MSS)
Demonstrated troubleshooting skills
Accurate record keeping skills
· Lifting: Must be able to lift up to 10lbs from waist to shoulder on a frequent basis; up to 30lbs from waist to shoulder on an occasional basis; and up to 40lbs from floor to waist on an occasional basis.
· Push/Pull: Must be able to push/pull 20lbs on an occasional basis.
· Standing/Walking/Sitting: Must be able to stand 5-8 hours per 12 hour shift; to walk 5-8 hours per 12 hour shift; and to sit 1-3 hours per 12 hour shift.
· Lower Extrems: Must be able to squat/kneel/crawl on an occasional basis; and to climb stairs/ladder on an occasional basis.
· Upper Extrems: Must be able to grip/grasp/pinch on a frequent basis; to work with vibrating equipment on an occasional basis; and to perform extended reach overhead work on an occasional basis.
· Equipment: Must be able to use power tools on an occasional basis; and to use computer and perform keyboarding on an occasional basis.
This position offers a complete benefit package, including 401K/ESOP, pension, health, life and dental insurance.
ADM requires the successful completion of a pre-employment drug and medical screen and a background check.
IA - Iowa
ADM is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability and veterans status.