Army National Guard Units (Title 32/Title 5) HEALTH SYSTEMS SPECIALIST in Camp Dodge Military Reservation, Iowa
**The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community.
IOWA ARMY NATIONAL GUARD - TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION** This position is restricted to current Military members of the Iowa Army National Guard.
LOCATION: IA MED DET, Johnston, Iowa NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted position that requires military membership in a compatible military assignment in the Iowa Army National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of this excepted position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. APPLICATION MATERIALS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 04/25/2018. FAILURE TO PROVIDE COMPLETE INFORMATION MAY RESULT IN YOUR NOT RECEIVING CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION. Please refer to the Qualifications and Evaluations Section of this Announcement to understand the qualification requirements, and the How to Apply Section for detailed instruction on applying.
Learn more about this agency
As a HEALTH SYSTEMS SPECIALIST, GS-0671-9 your duties are below; (1) Responsible for oversight, administration, and implementation of policies pertaining to state medical affairs, and exercise of programs such as: Line Of Duty (LOD) Investigation Program, Incapacitation Pay Program, Active Duty Medical Extension (ADME) Program, MOS Medical Review Board (MMRB) Program, Medical Disqualification Program, Follow up Health Care Program, Medical Claims Processing Program, Medical Travel and Orders Program, Medical Evaluation Board (MEB), Physical Evaluation Board (PEB), Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Screening Program, Immunization Program, routine and special physical examinations and waivers, Weight Control Program, and Over-40 Medical Screening Program.
(2) Coordinates with the National Guard Bureau (NGB), the Military Medical Support Office (MMSO), Tri-Care, U.S. Total Army Personnel Command (PERSCOM), Regional Medical Command, the Military Treatment Facilities, and the Medical Evaluation Board (MEB), and Physical Evaluation Board (PEB) Liaison Offices located within the state.
(3) Serves as the principle advisor to the Chief of the MILPO, as well as to general officer commanders, and personnel on eligibility for health care, sources of health care, medical aspects of physical readiness training and testing, Active Duty Medical Extensions, and LOD investigations. Collects, analyzes and provides statistical reports to the MILPO Chief and the Commanders of the Major Army Commands (MACOMs) within the state regarding the health services programs. As required, organizes, coordinates, and provides health services briefings and training for the unit readiness workshops, Active Guard Reserves workshops, and the Commanders Course.
(4) Manages the funds associated with the health services account and provides an accounting for expenditures as required.
(5) Responds to inquires and various correspondence on health services issues and maintains an action file on all responses. Observes privacy requirements on the release of medical information concerning individual military members.
(6) Coordinates, assembles, monitors and ensures the proper conduct of the Incapacitation Pay Review Board and the MOS Military Review Board. As required, is a participant on review boards.
(7) Reviews, evaluates, and interprets regulatory guidance, policies, and procedures applicable to the health services programs. Provides guidance to all users through the development of policies, procedures, standard operating procedures (SOPs), electronic tracking systems, and dissemination of information related to the health services programs. Publishes guidance to enhance and simplify completion and submission of health service related actions.
(8) Provides supervision of subordinate staff through the planning, assignment, and review of work; granting of leave; providing recommendation on training requirements, performance standards, and ratings; and effecting minor disciplinary actions such as warnings and reprimands.
(9) Performs other duties as assigned. D1119
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
0671 Health System Specialist
Conditions of Employment
Military Rank Requirements:Enlisted (E4-E6) MOS Required: 68W MOS Compatibility:42A 68G 68W 68Z 91B 91C
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required for this position:
- Knowledge of the regulations, policies, and procedures that impact the various programs overseen in order to evaluate and resolve procedural problems experienced in the state Medical Health Program.
- Knowledge of the full range of programs sufficient to advise management on the impact the current status individuals or groups may have on organizational requirements and activities i.e. physical readiness, training, testing; LOD investigation status and results; upcoming review boards or the status of the boards; etc.
- Ability to analyze the problems encountered and the skill to communicate, either orally or in writing, the recommendations to the parties involved i.e. all levels of management, individual military members, or the outside agencies or health care facilities that may be involved such as Tri-Care or local health facilities.
- Knowledge of the laws and privacy requirements concerned with the release of individual's medical information.
**In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. We will not make assumptions regarding your experience. Applicants who do not fully address the minimum/specialized experience needed for the position in their resume will not be referred for consideration.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:**All series personnel must be certified at the next higher level before being eligible for that level and must have a minimum of one year on-the-job experience in a career skill competency level immediately below the next higher level. Must have validated understanding of the basic principles and concepts of the occupational series and grade.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: GS-0671-9:Must have at least* 24 monthsexperience in the following:* 1. Experiences and knowledge of the basic principles and practices related to the management of health care delivery systems. 2. Experience in general clerical procedures; medical terminology; regulations, and directives; medical ethics; health records administration; principles of coding; and anatomy or physiology programs. 3. Experience at a novice competency level in one of the medical service core functions, which are prescribed as: Health facilities, health plan management, medical resources, health care information management and information technology, medical logistics, or medical readiness (including aeromedical evacuation). 4. Experiences and knowledge in analyzing and recommending solutions to complicated problems. 5. Experienced in developing and implementing various policies and procedures used in the state medical programs. 6. Experienced in various administrative areas such as budget, personnel and public relations within a medical unit or medical activity.
Education Requirements -Must have a high school diploma or general education development (GED) diploma. An undergraduate degree from an accredited college/university is optimum in health care administration, general science, biology, psychology, or other closely-related medical degree fields.
SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIREMENT: Employment is subject to attaining and maintaining a secret clearance as required by this position. If the selectee does not possess the applicable security clearance when hired, application must be made within 30 days of the start date. Failure to make application for the required security clearance will result in termination of employment. Failure to complete NGB prescribed courses at the PEC for new FTS personnel within the first year of employment may be cause for reassignment or termination of FTS. ENLISTMENT CASH BONUSES: Acceptance of a technician position may affect any bonus and/or educational assistance that may be applicable. Please contact your Education Office prior to accepting a position with the Iowa Army National Guard. Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
If you are a male applicant born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Background checks and security clearance
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
- Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (format should include Month and Year) of employment and duties performed.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
IA Iowa Medical Detachment 7105 NW 70th Ave Johnston, IA US
Learn more about this agency
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/496501000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 04/11/2018 to 04/25/2018
Salary: $45,810 to $65,778 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 9
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Permanent